Buying your food at your local farmers market is a great choice. Here are five reasons why:
- 74% of all foods in your local supermarket contain added sugar. You don’t need it. In fact, you want to avoid it. Buy food that’s in its original state: fresh, with a minimum of packaging and processing.
- When you spend money at your local farmers market, you support local family-owned and operated farms that tend to grow fresh, organic produce. When you spend money at a supermarket, you support major corporations who use pesticides, preservatives, and plastics, and ship products all over the country. The New Smart: personal knowledge of and interaction with the people who grow the food you feed your family.
- There’s a sense of community at a local farmers market. Embrace it. Become a part of it.
- When you shop at a farmers market, your kids are exposed to much less junk food and other products that they see advertised on television. Better for them, better for you.
- Eating healthy increases your chances of being healthy. Make that choice.