It’s that time again…time to put the summer clothes away and assess what you need to acquire (or locate in the back of the closet) in order to be appropriately dressed to go back to school.
If you’re a long-time reader, you’ll probably have a vague recollection of us going through this exercise last August, and maybe the August before that. I think perhaps we did.
Still, it can’t hurt to go through the paces again with a list, some suggestions, and perhaps a new item or two that we haven’t included previously, that will help those hopeful high school and college students get through the year without looking like something the cat dragged in, or someone who’s been hijacked by a ‘style blogger’ on acid.
Wardrobe considerations include value, comfort, functionality, versatility, durability, and, of course, Old Money Style.
I’m starting with the ladies, pulling a list from Old Money, New Woman, with question marks about some items (please advise, readers!). Here we go:
- White, or sky blue long sleeve,100% cotton and linen blouses;
- Solid color 100% cotton short sleeve polo pullovers;
- Solid color pullover or cardigan sweaters,100% wool or 100% cotton;
- Khakis or 100% cotton long pants and shorts in solid colors;
- Grey, black, or navy 100% linen or wool/cashmere blend pants (do you need these?)
- Grey, black, or navy 100% linen or 100% wool skirts; (or these?)
- A classic black dress, mid-length;
- Black high heel shoes with a closed toe, for dress;
- Navy or tan pumps with a chunk heel, for walking comfortably;
- Topsiders, sandals, or loafers, for casual;
- Wool socks and cotton socks;
- Blue or black blazer;
- Blue, black, or grey business suit of good quality (do you need this at school?)
- Navy full length 100% wool coat for winter;
- A London-fog style trench coat for rain.
For young men, I’ll advise with more confidence:
- White or light blue 100% cotton dress shirts (oxford cloth, button down, Mercer & Sons being the top of the line brand);
- 100% wool or 100% cotton pullover sweaters;
- Khakis, 100% wool slacks (grey), 100% cotton corduroy pants;
- Topsiders, LL Bean boots, penny loafers, Adidas sneakers (classic style);
- 100% wool blue blazer;
- A tweed sport coat in traditional style and fabric;
- Wool socks, cotton socks;
- Full length wool coat for winter;
- Two or three rep ties;
- 6 white handkerchiefs (to be kept in blazer & jacket at all times).
Okay, tribe, let me know your thoughts. Have I missed anything? Should some items be deleted?
I love back to school time. Mostly because I’m not one of those who’s going back.